Sunday, December 31

Interesting things

Some interesting things:

  1. I purchased some Oxy and when I squeezed the bottle, it came out brown. I think now I will be more conscious of my skin color. It’s like living on a planet where everybody has 3 legs, and the pants are made to accommodate. Applying brown facial cream is like putting on pants and discovering an extra leg. I wonder if elsewhere, where the Oxy is white, a brown person raises their brow as I did.
  2. There are no gas lines. Apparently, gas is purchased in limited quantity. Some guy comes by and fills your tank. If you’re not home when he comes by, your tank doesn’t get refilled. They show up somewhere between 9am and 5pm – er, excuse me, 17:00. I’m not sure what the cost is quite yet and frankly I don’t give a damn. All I want is a hot shower. It would be nice also if this place were heated by the same tank (or heated at all – electric for example), but that may increase the chance of it being depleted come shower time. It’s currently 58F in my room. A small price to pay for a scolding hot shower, whenever it may come.
  3. Mexicans drive with futility. There is a severe lack of stop signs and lights. The existing lights and stop signs are held in low regard anyway. I don’t know what the word “yield” is in Spanish, but I’m sure plays no role in the Mexican driving game. Whoever is supposed to go and who stops at a crossing is determined by whoever has the larger vehicle or whoever is the most insane. After driving around town with the boss fellow today I must have counted a dozen games of chicken while crossing intersections or merging. Nobody honks. What a coincidence, I just heard screeching of tires and smashing of metal right outside of my room.
  4. Everybody has heard that you shouldn’t drink the tap water here. This really sucks when you’re thirsty and you’ve no bottled water. A sandpaper throat temps one to stick their head right under that spout, but then the prospects of dysentery helps to make the right decision. I worry about brushing my teeth of washing my face.
  5. When it’s really cold some people put on gloves, a scarf, and/or a beanie. Other people wear surgical masks. At first I thought it was because they were protecting themselves from pollution or something. Realizing that the pollution isn’t that bad at all in SLP, I asked an English speaking local what the deal was. Turns out it’s because it’s cold. I have to be careful of letting in ethnocentricity when passing judgment, but sometimes reason kicks down the door. The only thing I can think of is that a surgical mask keeps their nose warm from their breath.
  6. The wine section of the grocery store is divided into the regions from where they were bottled. I didn’t recognize a single label in the Estados Unidos section. Either their being scammed or these mystery labels aren’t that great. Canned beer is more expensive than bottled, chewing tobacco is totally alien, and the Spanish version of Maxim is Sexo. And like Mexican television, it’s better (well, the pictures are anyway).

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

:) You had made me laugh a lot:

About the gas , there are pipe line sof gas. But only if the builder of the house or appartement required it. There are LP and Natural gas, both of them, But is cheaper to have a tank. That is the why of that.

About the driving! YES!!! and you also can have your licencense just paying for it, not test included! :) hahaha. That is the reason of the mad way to drive at Mexico. My grandma has a license and she has never drive a car in her life! .

The water, buy a "garrafon" this are 70 liters bottles, that's what people do at mexico to buy "garrafones" I recomend Electropura brand. It cost around 25 pesos each and you will have pure water available any time!. Also don't worry about wash your teeth or face, just don't swallow the water :) San luis water is less contaminated than Mexico city water, it just have a little more fluor than the common one. You will not catch difteria just for washing your teeth only if you wash it with water from the street floor ..

Enjoy the things that I like to call "mexican curios" like that fact of the masks on the cold weater, they are used to avoid sneeze in other people when they are in a bus or a crowded place. People seems to think it will help them to avoid a cold... I personally think is useless.

Have you visited the "gorditas de morales" if not you have to! :) It would be a different experience for you and that is really mexican food :)

Hope I can help you in you procees to adapt to my city I had a lot of help addapting my self to USA :)