Monday, March 2

I love Oaxaca immigration

The problem with the immigration office in Oaxaca has always been the same. They change the requirements to process a new or renew the work visa on what seems to be a daily basis. Previously, I had always called in advance to find out what the new and improved requirements are, which has always turned out to be a fool’s errand because one document or another is always required beyond what they mention over the phone. Now, the fool’s errand is not even possible. I have to renew my visa and upon calling I’m told that they can no longer tell us what is required over the phone and that we have to come into their office for them to tell us. I tried explaining to them that I’m a seven hour trip outside of Oaxaca and continued to explain to them how much sense it makes to travel that distance only to find out what I need. After bickering in a language in which I only have limited proficiency with two different people, I was finally told that I could check the website. Now, wasn’t that easy? I found where work visa update requirements are listed, and dutifully prepared the mentioned documents, copies, etc. Naturally, I always bring every scrap of paper I think they may ask for beyond that – just in case.

 

When I arrived in Oaxaca City, the officer asked me for a mountain of documents not mentioned on the website, some of which I was missing of course. I told her that her boss told me that the website is accurate. Following the contradiction match, said boss came to the desk to see what the commotion was about. She, the very same woman who told me that the requirements on the website are correct and up-to-date outright denied ever saying such a thing.

 

An argument ensued about the retarded nature of having no idea what the requirements are for certain visa processes. Thirty minutes or so pass until they finally hand me a sheet of 14 required documents necessary to renew my type of visa. The federal requirement noted on the website consists in 4 documents for a work visa renewal.

 

After reviewing the new and improved requirements which I’m sure will prove to be tentative, I realized that at least one of the documents she asked for this time around weren’t on this list either. Also, I found that the same document is listed twice, but worded differently.

 

The kicker was when she told me that NOBODY HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE! Excuse me? EVERYBODY I KNOW HAS THIS PROBLEM! There’s no such thing as just one trip to the Oaxacan immigration office.

 

Why couldn’t they have sent me this document via email?

Why does the Oaxaca office, a branch of a federal department, have requirements that differ from the federal requirements?

Are they intentionally fucking with us?

 

The day rounded off quite nicely when my bus back to Tuxtepec had a head on collision with a drunk driver in Butt Fucked Egypt. More on that later.

No comments: