Friday, January 26

Politics, Aliens, and things to come

Today I went without a lesson plan for my classes. Instead, I decided that it would be useful for the students to practice speaking with some good ol’ conversation. This was easier with the older business people, but somewhat difficult with the younger crowd. Figuring that it would be easier to get and keep people talking is if it is over a contentious subject. For the adults the is was Mexican politics. For the jovens, it was the existence of extra terrestrials (the very thought of aliens gives me the creeps, by the way). My first two classes are comprised of these younger folk. I found that all of them believe that there is advanced life on other planets. I agree. Half of them believed that these same advanced little green men have and still visit Earth. That’s where we differ. Wondering if these beliefs are consistent across all of my students, I took a rough tally of the adult classes, too. As it turns out, every last student believes that there is advanced life elsewhere and half of them believe that we are being visited. I wonder what a broader survey would yield.

More interesting however were the political discussions. Fox, Calderon, Obredor, Chiapas, Zapatismo, Oaxaca, and the teacher’s strike were all at some point falling out of their mouths… but more on that later.

Tomorrow I’m going to a soccer game. You know, the kind where people go ape shit? The guys that I’m going with told me that last time they went, people were throwing rocks and flipped over a car. You can’t bring in digital cameras because they’re afraid that you’ll chuck the batteries. But that’s not all! I also have tickets for a luncha libre match on Wednesday. You know, the guys that wear masks n stuff? I had to come all the way to Mexico to go to a wrestling match! It should be awesome.

No comments: