Thursday, January 4

so far so good

So I’m into my first week of teaching and so far it’s pretty fun. I am teaching 4 classes of “upper intermediate” students, and one four hour class of “advanced.” The classes that are the most fun are those comprised completely of younger students, which is really only one of them; 5 students, all between 15 and 20. With them I can have a little fun and they’re more forgiving. There is another class, 15 students all of whom are older business types, that is a bit serious and a little demanding. I’m the youngest person in the classroom. On the first day one of the students decided that she disagreed with some sentence structure or another (it had something to do with using “was” instead of “is”). Because she was flat wrong and arguing about it would have detracted from the focus of the lesson, I was sort of short with her about why I was right and she was wrong. When I got home it dawned on me why she believed what she did, so today I made a short point about her confusion – detailing to her and the class … well, you get the drift.

When I get home and start chatting with my roommates, I have to force myself to stop annunciating and avoiding slang in my speech. I use a lot of four letter words just to shake the trend. For the first hour or so after work I tend to sound like some sort of automated over-the-phone menu system.

I haven’t held my “advanced” class yet. It’s only one day a week, but as I said, four hours long. There’s another teacher who has the same level 5 days a week. I think I’ll enjoy this level the most because the first few lesson plans involve argumentation. Shit, finally a practical application of some good ol’ fashioned philosophy.

I wonder what my students thought of me when for a moment I thought that the English alphabet has 26 letters and that “satellite” is spelled with one L. Ah well, I corrected myself later and there were only 2 students there.. one of them probably didn’t know what the fuck I was saying anyway.

5 comments:

christine said...

Hey great blog! I found you through Technorati. We're moving to SLP in a few months for my husband's job I was looking for information on the city. I'm blogrolling you.

Anonymous said...

Hey New York Dick Fuck. Everyone misses you. Nah not really. Good to see that you made it through your first week alive.

Byorh

Unknown said...

HI! Glad to hear all is well! I see you're true to your words and not drinking anything w/o alcohol in it. You a ladies man, I want hot girls dropping numbers on my lap! CHEERS TO YOU, SALUD! DRINK!

We had lots of sushi, drank sake and beer for our tummies last night. Luke went to Mammoth w/ Mike this morning at the butt crack of dawn to continue his birthday weekend. The Parteeey House crew bought him a keg of New Castle :).

Anypoops, keep having an amazing time, btw you're a great writer!

Take good care!
Viv

PS you want us to send over some white people oxy?

Luke said...

So how many letters are there really in the english alphabet?

Christopher said...

Oh, i think i meant to say that i mistakenly said that there were 25, when in fact there are 26. silly me.