Tuesday, March 20

el zoologico, gracias a sr. Juarez

So because we’re too goddamned lazy to get up early enough to go to Huasetca, we instead decided to fill our day with going to the zoo! It was about 30 minutes away. We took the bus – it was sort of greyhound-like. Well, it wasn’t the world famous San Diego zoo, but it was something. Most of the animals didn’t appear to be very happy. The cages were small, and by no means did many of them belong in the high plains desert – tigers and black bears for example. To get a general idea for how big this place was, we were able to see everything within the course of about 2 hours, including lunch.

Oh, and you might have noticed that today is a Monday. Thanks to a one Benito Pablo Juaréz, a former Mexican president, today is a holiday. I haven’t been able to get a great deal of information from my students about what he did. So far this is what they’ve told me: He separated the church from government and he was around when Mexico kicked the French out. These are two things that are very good. I am also told that his death is somewhat mysterious. People say that he died of heart disease (although my encyclopedia says that he died of a stroke), but others believe that he was poisoned by the conservative opposition – perhaps even the church. His rise to power is also shrouded in mystery, at least according to my students; how ever he went from an impoverished life in Oaxaca to studying law and eventually winning his first political office is unknown. I have a strange Abe Lincoln vibe about him, but no real way of substantiating this, other than he was once upon a time poor and studied law. Juaréz is on the 20 peso bill and there’s a giant bust of him in front of one government building or another downtown. While walking with a friend of mine one day some time ago, I asked her who that was. She told me it was Juaréz. I remember asking her why they make statutes of corrupt politicians and saying that all the presidents back then sold Mexico out. As I now realize, I was sort of dogging a national hero. I must have not offended her that much or something though because she still talks to me.

The Oaxaca-Chiapas-Quintana Roo excursion is a mere 2 weeks away.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I was going to recommend you the "iguana soup" at oaxaca, but I just was told is forbiden to kill iguanas now at oaxaca.. :( so you might miss it.

Benito Juarez Birthday is March 21st. But Mexico just recently apply the movable holidays as USA. So we can have "puentes" ( long weekends)

I think you are talking about Mezquitic zoo.. i haven't been there yet but sounds sad if the animals are not happy :(