Thursday, March 8

Nirvana's in SLP

I’m genuinely happy. When from time to time this notion crosses my mind, that this seeming simple introspective discovery of personal happiness surfaces without effort or provocation, then I think it’s safe to say that I’m indeed, genuinely so. Teaching is great, even when I learn the grammar point or whatever moments before I teach it. It’s easy really, and they generally believe whatever I tell ‘em. The level of respect and perpetual kindness that the ladies practice back home is a far cry from that which is observed here. The ladies are so nice, it’s almost embarrassing. Back home I had always been walked on when I do whatever whenever for whomever – not here. That is to say, my pains have finally been made worthwhile. I guess this is reciprocity. There’s a first time for everything.

Every few days I’ll take a trip down to the corner store to buy a sixer of Sol or Tecate (about 30 pesos). While I’m walking home I’ll crack one open – yeah, right there on the street – and stroll down the avenue sippin’ on my brew. Life is good, indeed. Bukowski, eat your heart out. (speaking of which, if somebody can get me his short story colletion, Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness, then I’d love you forever).

At this very moment I’m listening to some brand spankin’ new Modest Mouse. I think they’ve pulled a little to far away from their hard, un-post produced low-B sound, but hey, it’s still good.

I’ve recently changed my computer (Windows; the operating system) so that it talks to me in Spanish. I’ve done this in hopes that it might provide for a lesson on, uh, computer skills in Spanish (or something) – this, alongside of the ubiquity to which I’m already exposed (i.e., immersion). Some of the time I have to work off of my memory of what a dialog box or whatnot is saying because I haven’t a clue. The other day I shut it down when I had intended to lock it. Hey, it’s all part of the learning process.

I’ve moved. We now have a big fat terrace that overlooks the street. The terrace takes up more foot-space than the house itself. We had a moderately sized party last Saturday and intend to have one for every Saturday that this universe can provide us with.

The only thing that sucks is having to wake up at 6am everyday and having to work for 4 and a half hours on Saturday from 9:30 to 2. This is counterbalanced however with the opportunity of taking a 1 to 2 hour nap in the middle of the day. My roommate also sucks. She’s the 21 year old white Canadian girl. I think she’s depressed or something. That, or she thinks she’s a princess and believes that everybody is scum and doesn’t deserve to hear more than a single syllable dribble off her precious lips. She doesn’t do shit around the house and she refuses to chip in for whatever community things such as dish soap, charcoal and meat for our barbeques, water, or anything else. She doesn’t have any morning classes and I get the feeling that she will eventually have problems paying rent, considering. Ironically, I hope this happens so I can throw her precious little ass outta here. We’ve got a hot place here and people have been biting and clawing to get it, but we had the advantage of knowing the former tenants.

Lots of people are happy here even thought they’re poor as hell and work their fingers to the bone day in and day out.

My shits are solid and regular. I could probably digest a license plate. The flu has recently swept through this place, and I made it out unscaved.

Click here for some photos I've edited. They make for good wallpaper I think.

2 comments:

ignorante said...

Good to see you're having a nice time en el viejo San Luis - don't miss history, SLP has a lot to offer. You'll have to scratch an' seek a lot, we potosinos are vaguely rediscovering it.

Anonymous said...

I spent something like 90 days (in 2 and 3 week segments) in SLP during 2005, working at the Mexinox stainless steel plant and living at the Holiday Inn Quijote. I came to really like the place and the people, and I enjoy your blog.